Friday, November 1, 2013

Lesson 191. Surprise someone.

Like all good stories start, it was a fairly ordinary Wednesday night.

I was attempting to study when we decided that the best course of action for the evening was to put on girl pop and give having hips that don't lie a go, just like our girl Shakira did all those years ago. The curtains were open, so when there was a knock on the door I naturally assumed it would be the neighbours begging to be my friends. And by naturally assumed I meant I had a split second daydream about it before coming to the conclusion that one of the boys across the road probably just wanted to borrow something that they couldn't be bothered buying. So I told Jess to get the door because I was too involved in my bollywood inspired dance moves to Selena Gomez. 

I was wrong about who was at the door. And I don't even mean wrong in the way that it was actually a wayward traveller who was lost and stumbled across our flat in the rain looking for a place to stay, it wasn't even something I'd considered before (Yes, I've considered a wayward traveller coming to stay. I think it would be kind of nice if there wasn't such a murderous undertone to the concept. But there is, so I should probably stop entertaining the thought that it would be a lovely way to make a friend whose couch I could sleep on if I was ever in Slovenia) It was the biggest and best surprise ever.

One of my best friends took off to the UK earlier this year, she left at relatively short notice to go and be with family for what was going to be at least six months. But on Wednesday night, Jess opened the door and there was silence, so I poked my head around the corner and saw a face I never expected to see. Naomi had pulled off coming home with literally about three people in the country knowing, and I don't know how she did it but let me tell you, it was well worth it. 

I did a sort of salmon like jump into the air, then wrapped her up in my arms, then ran outside and back in and then to the other end of the house, and then behaved like David after dentist for the rest of the night. I was so happy. For that moment, the fact that I will never be remotely close to being Beyonce Giselle Knowles-Carter and that I had spent the night putting off study for a 20 percent test for a paper that I didn't and still don't understand, didn't matter at all. 

Do that for somebody. Change their day or their week or their life by doing something amazing spontaneously, bring joy by just showing up. Surprise someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment