Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lesson 1. Be brave for your mother

Today I left home for the second time. This is one instance where the 'first the worst, second the best' theory turns out to be a lie from the firey pits. The second time leaving feels harder.

I spent the day on the brink of tears and avoiding honesty like the plague. Leaving became a topic I was unwilling to discuss, alongside bills, my Father booking incorrect flights and our recent home phone switch to Vodafone which seems to have caused my Mother deep distress.

I didn't quite manage to stomach my whole dinner with my impending doom advancing towards me at such a great pace. I knew what was coming and I was terrified. I placed my knife and fork side by side on my plate and decided to tackle leaving home head on.

My Father gave me a slightly-awkward-brisk-yet-sweet-hug and turned his cheek to be kissed. He is a man of practicality and trusts that I will return. Yes, Gregory had enough bravery of his own and went through the process with a smile. It was at this time I realised it was time to say goodbye to my Mother. I heard a slightly-wobbly-but-still-very-Irish voice say "Can you call me tomorrow? I'll be home all day" I then looked to the left and a little down (she's just a wee woman who fits under my chin) to see my Mother standing with tears coursing down her face. She doesn't cry a lot but when she does it's for her children. I hugged her, kissed her head and found myself reaching a conclusion I have never reached before.

Sometimes we have to be brave for our Mothers. Sometimes our fears can burrow so far into us that they can seep into the deeper places of those who care. Sometimes this means we are called to be courageous not only for the greater good of ourselves but for the people who love us. Sometimes we have to be brave for those who have spent our whole lives being brave for us.

I want to be brave for my Mother. I want to face the next few days that I have been dreading with courage and gumption. When life throws scary unknowns, face them with the kind of courage that would make your Mother proud. Take a moment to be thankful for the things she has faced for you. Today I am thankful for my Mother and her bravery throughout my life, today it's my turn to step up to the plate.

Kids, be brave for your Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment