Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lesson 9. Learn to tune out the sirens.

I live on one of the busiest roads in the country. Potentially disclosing too much information about my whereabouts but hey, let's just say we're already at the stage where I've told you I can lip sync the whole of Celine Dion's 'All by Myself' and that I occasionally google myself. Well, at least now we really are at that stage.

Anyway, back to my place (no, not like that cheeky). I hear drunk people singing badly most days. I hear strange arguments from the street below. All night long the sirens go. 

The noise is so hard to get past. The first few days of living here were torture. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus, I dreaded returning home because of the background clutter. Life gets like that so easily. 

It's so easy to be overwhelmed by the sirens of life. So easy to let our heads ache because of the business. It's the simplest thing but it's something we need to learn to do. To make time to tune out the noise. Spend some time in the quiet. Tune into the calm as opposed to the squeals and screams of life's demands.

Listen to some music. Write some music. Talk to a friend. Let a friend talk to you. Tell someone you love them. Call your parents. Take a walk some place still. Appreciate the beautiful noises in life. Learn to tune out the sirens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment