Saturday, November 10, 2012

Lesson 162. Pack up properly.

I packed my year into twelve boxes and a suitcase. I then neatly stacked them into my five seater honda jazz, turned up "On My Way" by Rusted Root to full volume and I drove home in record time.

I'm sitting at the kitchen table having just consumed six cookies and a savoury muffin pondering quite how I did it. My bedroom was atrocious looking yesterday when I woke up. My bedroom was immaculate when I handed in my keys today.

It was so messy. So complex. There were so many different areas that needed tending to. I started in the righthand corner, only to pack it all up and feel as though I'd done less than make a dent. Even so, I decided to push through. So corner by corner, lush product by lush product, trouser to t-shirt, I boxed a years worth of my life. I'd avoided it so long that I had to face a giant pile of things I didn't know how to, so with sufficient tears and little grace I did so. But the point is I did. And I'm here, I made it home. I'm sitting at the kitchen table having just consumed six cookies and a savoury muffin realising quite how we should do things.

Take it corner by corner, step by step and know that it's not supposed to be easy. Know that the things that define us never are. But know that you'll get there. Maybe your righthand corner has exhausted you and you still feel as though you've got forever to go before you get to okay, but let me assure you you'll get there. Have the courage to face things and to place them appropriately. To take, or to leave behind. Pack up properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment