Thursday, November 22, 2012

Lesson 169. Be thankful.

I'm no American. I don't have pumpkin pie and I don't talk about the pilgrims, I don't sit around the table holding hands with my family or eat 'til my belly is fit to burst. I do, however, celebrate thanksgiving. I celebrate thanksgiving here and now, you and I style, consider it a rather momentous occasion as it is our first thanksgiving as a unit.

I was supposed to have finished my blog by now- before life happened. Today was the goal finishing date, and we've got a way to go yet. But I remain thankful, because although I haven't achieved quite what I wanted yet, I have more time with you. I have more time to be challenged by each day and to write in such a way that maybe challenges you. I'm thankful that you're reading this, I'm thankful for you.

In case you haven't caught on, I'm about to list what I'm thankful for in the hope that you might do the same somewhere. Write it down, I dare you. Consolidate your list of loves and I promise your heart will catch a little happy too. Don't be afraid of feelings friend, they only bite when they're bitter and they only grow bitter when they're smothered by smirks and shoulder shrugs.

I'm thankful for the one who made me. For his persistence in an unrelenting pursuit of broken people, for his love and his grace. For his sacrifice.

I'm thankful for family. I am thankful for their arms and their hearts, for the way it feels like coming home with each hello. I'm thankful for those I'm blessed with not only through blood but through deep friendship. I'm thankful for another home through times of trial when my family felt far away. I'm thankful for my parents and their commitment to unswervingly loving one another and each child with the same incredible strength. I'm thankful for my big sisters and how I'll never cease to learn from them or laugh with them.

I'm thankful for friends. Especially this year. I'm thankful for new friends that made their way into my heart successfully and deeply. I'm thankful for the laughter, for the understanding of one another. I'm thankful for the way they've walked me through the hardest things I've ever had to do. I'm thankful for friends who will sing Westlife and quote silly things and occasionally humiliate themselves in order to cheer me up. I'm thankful for old friends, dear friends, friends that although see distance don't see change in relationship. For those who drift in and out but remain as always a source of great friendship. I'm thankful for friendship and the way it reminds me of how blessed I am to enjoy such an excellent standard of human beings.

I'm thankful for music. For the way it changes people and things. I'm thankful that it allows me opportunities to be happy and sad and occasionally slightly psycho. I'm thankful that it runs through each stream of everyday life and that I'm blessed enough to study it. I'm thankful for the way it bonds total strangers.

I'm thankful for love of all sorts. I'm thankful for falling in love and feeling heartbreak. I'm thankful for the love of a friend and the love of a family. I'm thankful for the love of food.

Which brings me to this, oh how I am thankful for food. I am thankful for full bellies and their contents. I'm thankful for chocolate, my dear sweet love. I am thankful for cookies and movenpick.

I'm thankful for 2012. It's been absolute madness and I've had to do harder things than ever before. I'm thankful for the challenges and the trials for the way they show ability to grow and move forwards. For the way they give strength. I'm thankful for the people it's showed in and I'm thankful for the people it has sustained. I'm thankful that I have learnt that cookie dough and kisses on the forehead make the world a better place. I'm thankful that it has allowed me to figure myself out.

I'm thankful for home. And I'm thankful that I've realised how beautiful it is.

I'm thankful for Snoosan and his companionship. I'm thankful that he can't talk because I've told him an awful lot. I'm thankful that his little blankie attached to his hand doubles as a tear catcher.

I'm thankful for Singin' in the Rain. I'm thankful that Gene Kelly is a wonderful man and I'm thankful that he gives me hope that one day I'll make a man tap dance through various puddles.

I'm thankful for cuddles. For arms that hold on tighter and just long enough to know the presence of love. They're one of my favourite things in the world.

I'm thankful for underwear. Mostly just because they're not only necessary but also excellent when the right sort is selected.

I'm thankful for new life. For the reminder it is of how precious each second is and for how it makes my eyes get all foggy and my throat get all froggy. I'm thankful for the beauty of a baby and a brave mother.

I'm thankful for lake Rotoma. That it provides the most basic and beautiful hiding place. I'm thankful for the peace that it radiates and the happy memories that reside. I'm thankful for clothes that smell like campfires and ever so slightly sunburnt noses.

I'm thankful for everyday needs being met without thought. I'm thankful that I'm blessed enough to live each day with food in my stomach, a roof over my head and clean water on tap. I'm thankful to be a healthy eighteen year old.

I'm thankful for bed. I'm in bed right now so I suppose this is where my post ends, although it's only where my thanks begin. So I challenge you to try this too, it's this crazy thing called 'being thankful' and I've heard it's a pretty groundbreaking new trend. It might even do a little something for your perspective, go on, be thankful.






No comments:

Post a Comment