Monday, November 19, 2012

Lesson 167. Stop skimming, start living.

I read a whole book last night. I couldn't sleep, so I read a book. Not a chapter, not half, the whole 224 page story of Ben Carson's life.

It was about 2am when I finally wrapped up although it should've been long before. My eyes were half shut and if I sat up dizziness promptly made sure my back was to bed within seconds. I didn't enjoy the last few chapters which were actually the most joyous of the book. I was just trying to get through, to see the last page and know how it ended. I'm impatient with endings.

I'm this way in most situations. Not in a morbid "I want to see how I die" kind of way at all, but in a "I wonder who I marry, I wonder what job I'll end up in, I wonder if my children will also be freakishly klutzy" kind of way.

I don't know about you, but I've realised I need to slow down before I miss all the good bits. Before I'm so busy looking forward that I neglect to look beside me and marvel at the people walking this journey with me, before it's too late to laugh or to learn. Start enjoying every page and stop skimming. Appreciate that it's part of a grander plan but appreciate the phase that you're in even more.

Stop skimming, start living.


No comments:

Post a Comment