Friday, November 23, 2012

Lesson 170. Make your blunders beneficial.

I showed up to work today as usual. With 5 minutes to spare I wandered into the back room and placed my things down for the day, timed in on the computer and tied my apron strings neatly. I hit the shop floor with a bow in my hair and a smile on my face when a babe of a co-worker walked in.

I was surprised to see her because we're barely ever rostered on together and it seemed like a strange over staffing coincidence. I asked her if she was sure she was working and she replied confidently and went in search of evidence- to the rosters. She then emerged rather sheepish and mumbled "You aren't rostered on" My cheeks flushed crimson and I apologised profusely. I then went and sat down and tried to figure out where I went wrong. I just had it in my head and the idea had lead me so far astray that I'd planned my Friday around a 10-3 stint at work. I'd also brought my sister over, who wouldn't be finished work until around 3. I felt foolish to say the least.

Luckily, my trainee manager was a witness of my despair and made a few calls to ensure that my journey would not be in vain. I ended up working only an hour short of my made up time. Somehow, I managed to make a little extra money out of a less than impressive situation.

Now I'm not saying I'd do anything like that deliberately and I'll hopefully avoid any further incidents involving roster blunders but, I'm saying that there's a possibility to work out a way to make the clumsy beneficial. You can either choose to have a tanty and walk away before you can find a solution or you can sit a few short minutes until one is found. It's up to you. Make your blunders beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment