Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Lesson 172. Don't let go of your Africa.

My heart's started stirring again, this means trouble. It keeps plying my head with memories of moments that within I felt more alive than ever before. The time I fell in love with a continent and walked away a woman never the same.

Africa. Kenya was first, I suspect Uganda will be second, but it'll always be Africa. The way it smells straight after rain pelts the red soil, the way it sounds on a Sunday morning, the way it feels to hold a child and know that you're capable of changing their world by purely being present.

I'll never forget dancing in a classroom with fifty children in the middle of a thunderstorm. I'll never forget the way that their voices drowned out the claps of the clouds or the hard hitting water on the tin roof. I'll never forget the way their smiles consumed their whole beings, or the joy that radiated from those who had so little but loved so much.

My heart's started stirring again. It's the part where the names of the children who changed it are engraved: Victor, Nifa, Adelaide, Wilson, Blessing. It's been two years and I've never really let go, I'm still figuring out where it fits, but it's safe to say it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Dont stop your heart from stirring. Hold on to the dreams that live within it and trust that when the time is right they'll be before your eyes. Don't let go of your Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment