Friday, September 7, 2012

Lesson 138. Just be there.

I still remember the night before I moved out of home. I tossed and turned in tears and then bunched up my duvet, pillow in one hand and Snoosan in the other and woke my sister. I talked Annie to sleep then lay awake on her floor until thoughts of tomorrow ran my mind ragged and into a state of sleep. I woke, a few times in the night actually, head spinning, heart sinking, scared. I looked up to see my sister asleep and felt better. Not for what she was saying or doing, but because she was being. She was there.

When the going gets tougher, it gets hard to know how to hold the ones you love. Words don't seem enough, nor do acts or attempts at a smile. Sometimes, all that person needs is for you to be there. You don't have to talk, you don't have to have the solution, but just being there can make someone feel like holding on. A simple hand squeeze, a shoulder for a weary head to fall on, eyes that look only with love. Just be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment