Thursday, September 27, 2012

Lesson 150. Listen to yourself.

I'm a classic advice giver. I nod, I smile, tender caress of (insert name here's) arm and tell them that all will be good and well again if they just realise their potential and purpose.

I'm a classic advice ignorer. I nod, I smile, touch (insert name here's) hand on my arm and tell them thank you for shedding light on the topic I've discussed a thousand times over with various bearers of wisdom who seem to tell me the same story, and then I pay for their coffee.

Okay, so it's not deliberate and it's not quite as rude or as obnoxious as I've made it sound. You're guilty too though aren't you chum?

I was having coffee today with a friend and I had to stop myself. We'd both been feeling the same way about our course at University and had discussed with various other friends how we'd been feeling and we're all kind of in the same boat. I was mid sentence exclaiming just how ridiculous these incredibly talented people were for second guessing themselves and they all have different strengths and comparisons just aren't relevant, etc. etc. when my shoulders hunched slightly forwards as if to prompt a little shame. I constantly compare myself to those same people and envy each and every one's strength.

How often do I do that? Probably more times than I can count on my hand. I'll spell off my spiel relatively numbly and go on my merry way.

I'm going to start listening to myself. Save a little time crying, be a little better off. Listen to yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment