Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lesson 76. Chipmunks are the cutest.

My beautiful big sister had her wisdom teeth extracted this afternoon. She is currently wearing a dopey grin with gauze spilling out the sides of her mouth. Her eyes are sitting at a halfway open point and her cheeks match the drapes and they are severely swollen. She's potentially the cutest mildly sedated chipmunk I've ever seen, in spite of her somewhat coarse language and the fact that she pulled a rude gesture at me for the first time in her life when just out of surgery.

She's in a lot of pain right now. A lot of pain. I'm not going to go into great detail but there is an excessive amount of blood involved every half hour or so when I change her gauze. She is still smiling. Sure, the drugs might have a bit to do with that (I'm relatively sure they do because she told me I too should 'get on them') but there is something quite impressive about my sister at this moment. She is currently working a look that honest and rare. I've seen it a few times in my life and I like to believe that in this moment my wee Pan has been seeking inspiration from those gone before her. My Grandmother died with great grace and deep joy in spite of her circumstance. She was praising Jesus on the way out and proved to me that beautiful does not mean a state of physical perfection, it means quite the contrary.

It runs deeper, flows through the veins of one living for a greater purpose. True beauty is found when we acknowledge that although life is tough it is good. When we can survive storms dancing and embrace that phrase in all of it's cliche glory. Smile through the tears, you remain a beautiful being when all around is crumbling because you are clinging to hope. Moral of the story, Chipmunks are the cutest.

No comments:

Post a Comment