Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lesson 79. Sing to someone sickly.

Last night I was bed ridden with a belly bug. It was my loves Birthday and instead of kisses and cuddles I clung for dear life to the rim of his toilet seat. I shook and cried on his poor family bathroom floor more concerned with the fact that I wouldn't make it to the Birthday celebration than the fact that the contents of my midmorning bagel and Mrs Higgin's visit were before me. The wonderful boy simply reassured me and tucked me in. I lay in slight melodramatic agony dreaming "Lord take me NOW" to be interrupted by a phone call.

I picked up with a grunt and was pleasantly surprised. My mothers Irish literal singsong voice began with "I just called to say how much I love you, I just called to say how much I care" And continued on until she forgot the words. Although the giggle had to be slightly suppressed for the way it teased my groaning abdominals, the smile was one that can only be born of a loving mother when a child is ill. She lifted my woe-is-me-I'm-an-awful-girlfriend-why-can't-I-just-fall-asleep-ouch-my-belly-is-killing-me attitude within an instant. I realised how lucky I was to have a boyfriend who was willing to stand by me through sickness, his family who was willing to check on me every few minutes and get whatever I needed, and a mother who was willing to err on the foolish side to get a smile out of me.

Do something a little silly and slightly sweet for someone who isn't feeling top notch. You never know what it might do for them or just how much it will mean. Sing to someone sickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment