Friday, May 4, 2012

Lesson 17. How you gonna do it if you really don't want to dance?

I used to be the awkward wallflower girl. When people tried to make me dance I would literally turn and head for the bathrooms until I'd been in there long enough for them to think I'd left. I would then emerge timidly and stand in the shadows hoping no one would notice that I, unlike them, was not eager to join in the arms and legs flailing situation of the dance floor. 

Until one day I tried it. I just stopped thinking about what my fellow wallflowers would think once they watched me get down on it and well, I got down on it. 


Last night was one of the situations where I had to abandon my former ways and move (literally move) into a little bit of somethin' somethin'. There was a row of people standing with drinks doing the relatively standard left foot stomp and occasional move of the glass. And then there was my friends doing their thing without a care in the world. I had a choice, to either join the foot stompers or get my dance on. I luckily chose the latter and I assure you it was much more fun than standing watching. 

Sometimes in life we have to let go. Drop concerns about who may or may not be mocking you and just go for it, do you really have time to waste? Lose the awkward wallflower thing, it's highly overrated and you're only gonna regret it when you're forty-something and you have no embarrassing moves to bestow upon your children. Yes, make a fool of yourself today not for the sake of others but simply for the sake of yourself. It will do you a whole lot of good to take yourself a little less seriously. How you gonna do it if you really don't wanna dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment