Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lesson 26. Let the past spur you on.

I've been reliving the glory days over the last 48 hours.
My trip home included a visit to my former place of education, which all of a sudden felt like a walk in the park. I'm sure it wasn't all sunshine/lollypops/rainbows when I was actually there, but retrospect is a blinding and beautiful thing. High school began to look like it was my very own cloud nine, I just no longer belong there.

I finally received a copy of the Stage Challenge production that I directed in my final year of greatness. I watched it this afternoon and got slightly emotional, it was inevitable that it would cause a few leaks in my tear ducts. I look back with fond memories but I know it wasn't all cheery. I shed many a frustrated tear over the process, I yelled, I got serious, I got stressed. I thought "How the heck am I going to pull this off?"

Watching it this afternoon brought a sense of enlightenment. When I was in year 13, Stage Challenge was my giant. It stood before me so daunting, I had no idea how to tackle or maneuver it. But guess what? I managed. I'd probably even go as far to say that I more than managed, I was successful. It was encouraging to realise that I excelled at something that felt so distant and difficult at the time. I finally feel like I can tackle my University work with full force, because yes, I am that strong. So are you.

If you feel like you can't do something- look back, I'm sure this isn't the first time you've been taken over by some delusional defeatist. Realise that you've felt this way before and you have done it, you have won over your giant. In fact you've skipped through the meadows swinging the right hand of your giant. Let the past spur you on.

No comments:

Post a Comment