Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lesson 43. Set at least two alarms. Be grateful for the ones who love you at your worst.

You know that bad dream you have the night before a big day?
The one where you wake up 15 minutes before you're supposed to be at there. You're in your pajamas and you almost run down the street. The one where all logic is tackled to the ground and disposed of promptly by his nemesis panic. You pull a stunned possum and forget your name and which foot goes first. Today, that dream became a reality. I woke up 15 minutes before a 30% test. Luckily my super great flatmate was home and helped me/took our friendship to the next level by getting me dressed and suggesting deodorant. Make-up less with a pencil, a swipe card, and a tiny shred of dignity still intact I galloped my way down Symonds street. I arrived just in time for my test, I sat down and I did it. I was flustered, a little bit sweaty, and a little bit teary but nonetheless completed my test.

You're wondering where I'm going with this aren't you. Well, we're going two places. First stop is where I become your mother. I've asked you to stay at the dinner table after we've just finished a hearty plate of spag-bol so that I can have a talk with you. You're twiddling your thumbs and because I'm your mother I know the crease in your brow tells of worry, I assure you I'm not about to tell you off. I've just decided it's time to pass on a pearl of wisdom. I reach over, squeeze your hand and I say "Don't make the same mistake I did, set at least two alarms." And now you breathe a sigh of relief. You give my hand a firm press and nod "Always Mum."

Good. I'm glad we had that chat.

Second place is a little more simple and doesn't involve anything remotely familial- at least between you and I. I think we often take for granted the people in our lives who are willing to step in at our worst. The bedroom that you can run into with your polkadot nana nightie with the fluffy sheep on the front in a mad panic and the inhabitant knows exactly how to deal with the situation. The boy who hears you hurt and tells you you are of worth until you start believing it. The sister who will stay in your bed 'til the tears lull you to the land of sleep. Appreciate them, they are the ones who know you and love you not just in spite of your flaws but through them.

Good. I'm glad we had that chat.

Moral of today's story: Set at least two alarms. Be grateful for the ones who love you at your worst.



No comments:

Post a Comment