Friday, May 18, 2012

Lesson 31. Appreciate your staircase.

My stairs are much like yours. They're a teeny bit awkward, they jut out, they're very much up and down, and most of all they are crucial from getting from A to B in our household.

I trip up my stairs a lot. I even cut my hand on the railing once in a riding the mattress down incident. Sometimes they feel like forever when I'm descending to my bedroom after a rough day. They are only short but occasionally on my way up I feel as though the final stair will always be a little out of reach.
Today was one of those days. My feet were heavy, I hadn't been home since early morning. I was tired and I was not in the mood for a trek upwards. I staired (Why yes I am also a lady of wit, even at 11.34pm) up at my nemesis, the peak and turn of the staircase. I stared long and hard and then committed to taking the first step. Before I knew it, the large majority of blocks were behind me. Before I knew it I had conquered my Everest and I was outside my bedroom door. I collapsed on my bed with great satisifaction. I could lay my weary head down with the knowledge that I would not have to clamber my way up another set of stairs 'til a new day had come and with that would come new energy and strength to do so.

No, I'm not just talking about stairs anymore. I'm talking about the stairs you and I climb on a regular basis. Life's stairs. They are hard sometimes. They're a teeny bit awkward, they jut out, they're very much up and down BUT, they are also crucial in getting from A to B. Too often, we forget the last phrase. We forget the critical role stairs play in our lives. They teach us to keep going, to conquer our demons and dance on the landing. The tough bits that seem never ending are often what take us from the bottom to the top. They might seem difficult now but I promise you will look back with deep appreciation and the warmest affection for your climb. You would not be who you are and your smile would not have the same slant without knowing that you did it, you made it up and through. They will get you from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs in your life. So please, appreciate your staircase.

No comments:

Post a Comment