Saturday, May 19, 2012

Lesson 32. Tomorrow is not a guarantee.

Forgive me if this post seems a little on the heavy side. I don't mean to be morbid but today was a day that caused me to consider life and its ins and outs.

Today I walked a lifelong friend through the loss of a loved one. We stood through the awkward conversations with people who remember you when you were 'just a peanut' but still can't quite remember your name and stomached the slightly warm savouries the well-meaning ladies from the parish popped in the oven for a few minutes. We waded through tears, the silence that follows the casket, the grief.

The funeral itself was beautiful. So much warmth can be born from a life so full of love even after the road has turned heavenwards. It's a strange occurrence when a death can bring hope, not for the life lived but because the life was so well lived that it leaves a legacy of knowledge and encouragement for those to come. A life that inspires even the least of people. Today was like that. I want to live a life of love that changes things. I think that's all we should hope for. Yes, we have to do our best with right now, but no, we don't have all the time in the world. As terrifying as it sounds, tomorrow is not a guarantee.

I want to bring hope. I want to see a struggling child smile. I want to see my friend who battles with depression defeat it. I want to dance with my best friends to ridiculous music from my childhood on a regular basis. I want to share too many kisses and hugs with the people I cherish. I want to tell the people I love that I do, every single day. I want to write brilliant music and even better blogs. I want to change the world and hold the hand of a friend in need and do everything I've written on my bucket list. Thing is, tomorrow is no time to start- today is. Maybe we wouldn't be so scared of the world ending if we lived like it was about to. That does not give you license to go wild by the way, I'm simply suggesting that we rid ourselves of our day-to-day heaviness and start living in the light. Tomorrow is not a guarantee, be a person of hope today.

1 comment:

  1. There was a poem I read today that I felt was something that I need to read every day and it has a similar tone to your post today. It's called 'Just for today' by Kenneth L. Holmes.

    ReplyDelete